Bryan Gruley: A Self Portrait
Bryan Gruley Revealed
About Bryan Gruley
What is your birthdate?:11/9
Previous occupations:Caddy. Draftsman. Journalist.
Favorite job:Writing fiction.
High school and/or college:Detroit Catholic Central High School, the University of Notre Dame.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Changes a lot, but at the moment, Alejandro Escovedo.
Favorite television show:The Sopranos
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Blessed and lucky.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Losing a child.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Here.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Words that can't be written on a family website.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Composing music on a piano.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Bringing up our three children.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. My pride.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. The ability to forgive.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Huck Finn.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Darth Vader, of course.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Jesus Christ: Thank you.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Apostrophes used to signify plurals.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Ice hockey.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Left wing alongside Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Humor. Empathy. Passion.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. My mother's pot roast.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. JD Salinger. Ernest Hemingway. Flannery O'Connor. Ron Hansen. Brian Doyle. Michael Connelly. Thomas Harris (early). Mark Twain. Alice Munro.
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Nine Stories by Salinger.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Ass in chair.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. I'm about to find out, I hope.