Debbie Rigaud Revealed
About Debbie Rigaud
What is your birthdate?:3/19
Previous occupations:Magazine Editor, Marketing Copywriter
High school and/or college:Rutgers University (Newark Campus!)
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Stevie Wonder
Favorite movie:"The Princess Bride"
Favorite television show:"House Hunters" on HGTV
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Work in progress, one day at a time.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Love is all you need.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Dancing to my favorite jams with my husband and family.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Public speaking.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Right where I am now—chillin’ at home with my husband.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. My sister Golda—she’s a courageous soul who lives her inner truth.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Ya' lyin'! ("Your'e lying;" an expression of shock or surprise)
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. The ability to, from time to time, meet with loved ones who have passed on. Especially my mother.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. I don’t have children yet, so I’ll say making bold decisions in life.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Everyone says I’m “too nice.”
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Compassion.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. A Broadway performer.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My smile.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Baby Suggs in Toni Morrison’s “Beloved.”
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Skeletor of “He-Man” fame.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Harriet Tubman. I wouldn’t say anything. Just listen to what she has to say.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Rudeness.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Writing for television; being an author.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Kindness, sense of humor, honesty.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Sweet plantains (boiled or fried).
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. That's a tough one. I love so many songs. In no particular order, I'll say, "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson; "Spread My Wings" by Troop; "Kouman Sa T'a Ye" by Boukman Eksperyans; "Fur Elise" by Beethoven; and "Electric Relaxation" by Tribe Called Quest. (Honorable mention: Anything DJ Premier ever produced!)
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Some of the authors who have made an impact on me are Toni Morrison, Chinua Achebe, Edwidge Danticat, Ben Okri
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. The Color Purple by Alice Walker; The Famished Road by Ben Okri; Beloved by Toni Morrison; To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee; Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- Q. How did you come to write Perfect Shot?
- A. After writing the novella "Double Act" (from Hallway Diaries), my agent Adrienne Ingrum asked me how I felt about romantic comedies. Of course, I told her I think they're fun and sweet. The romance in "Double Act" was a small part of that story but I enjoyed writing it. Perfect Shot became my "perfect shot" to explore this genre further and I was excited to develop the characters and storyline over time.