Ellen Sandbeck Revealed
About Ellen Sandbeck
What is your birthdate?:5/30
Previous occupations:Baby sitter, roofer, housecleaner, landscaper, waitress (two hours), graphic designer, worm wrangler
Favorite job:doing artwork
High school and/or college:San Rafael High School, San Rafael, California; University of California at Santa Barbara
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Randy Newman
Favorite movie:The Princess Bride
Favorite television show:Firefly
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Trying to figure things out.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. She who makes the most creative mistakes, wins.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Being with all the people I love at the same time.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. That something bad will happen to those I love.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. With my husband, swimming somewhere very secluded.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Anyone who has ended up in history books is out of my league.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Jane Goodall
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. WOW! COOL!
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. I can't go there. If I did, I'd grind to a permanent halt.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I'd like to be able to draw one thing with one hand, while drawing something else with the other.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. My two children are smart, happy, healthy, and beautiful.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. I'm very, very opinionated.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I cannot be railroaded into doing anything I think is wrong.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I'm just beginning to figure out how to deal with myself, and you expect me to switch now?
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I'm very opinionated.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Huckleberry Finn
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Inspector Javert, in Les Miserables.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Mark Twain, but I'd probably be too awe-stricken to say anything to him.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. people who pick on those who are vulnerable and or disabled
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. doing anything at all with my husband
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Japanese pearl diver
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Courage, a sense of humor, compassion
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. nectarines and kefir
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. I'd Like to Check You for Ticks, Brad Paisley; Hard Times, Stephen Foster; Fields of Gold, Sting; Garden Song, David Mallet; We'll Make Our Garden Grow, From Candide, by Leonard Bernstein
On Books and Writing
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain; Love Medicine, Louise Erdrich; To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee; Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens; Sweet Thursday, John Steinbeck
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. I don't have a particular one now, but when I was a child I read Tom Sawyer once a month for several years.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Read constantly.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. "You really do a lot of research!"
- Q. How did you come to write Green Barbarians?
- A. I decided that it would be really fun to research ancient and modern ways to do things in order to avoid buying in to the propaganda of Big Business/pharmo/industrial/agrochemical complex. It was really fun, but it was also infuriating,scary and exhausting.