Emma McLaughlin Revealed
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Full of creative challenges and rife with dogs.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Two brains are better than one.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Having just handed in a completed novel, having just become Angelina Jolie's best friend, having just witnessed world peace, and checking into the Firmdale's Covent Garden Hotel.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Terrorist snakes.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Paris.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Kermit the Frog.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Barack Obama has our hearts.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "F*@K." "Really". "I'm overwhelmed." And,"what?!"
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. To be able to write a musical and dance in it like Gene Kelly.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Sustaining a decade long creative partnership.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Our inability to hold numbers in our heads.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. To find the funny in any circumstances.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Angelina Jolie.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. We talk fast.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Kermit the Frog.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Mrs. X.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. We'd love to meet Queen Elizabeth I and get the skinny on her sex life . . . if there was one.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People with no vision.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Talking to each other about writing.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Action hero.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Positivity, sense of humor, wisdom.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Fettucini Alfredo.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Let the River Run by Carly Simon, Into the Groove by Madonna, So What by Pink, If I were a Boy by Beyonce, If You Seek Amy by Brittany Spears
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. David Sederis, Pat Barker, Elizabeth Gilbert, Edith Wharton, Nora Ephron, Don DeLillo, Micheal Cunningham. There are so many!
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Holidays on Ice, David Sederis
The REgeneration Trilogy, Pat Barker
White Noise, Don DeLillo
Motherless Brooklyn, Jonathen Lethem
Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Naked by David Sederis
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Discipline--carve out a regular time to write even if it's only an hour a week and make it sacred.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. I was a nanny too and it IS that bad.