Eric Wight: A Self Portrait
Eric Wight Revealed
About Eric Wight
What is your birthdate?:11/15
Previous occupations:animator, TV prop artist, amusement park caricaturist. window painter, video store clerk
Favorite job:Getting to play make-believe for a living is a pretty sweet gig.
High school and/or college:I went to Freedom High (can you tell my school was founded in the sixties?). After a brief stop at Carnegie Mellon, I found my way to the School of Visual Arts and received a degree in animation.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:They Might Be Giants
Favorite movie:North by Northwest
Favorite television show:Pushing Daisies
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Play, eat, play, eat, play, eat, play, sleep.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. If life was easy, I'd be out of a job.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Getting to wake up everyday and make a living doing what you love, surrounded by family and friends to enjoy it with.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. To not have the chance to share all of the stories I want to tell.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Castle hopping through the hills of Scotland.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Dr. Seuss because I like to rhyme...all the time...while fighting crime...and enjoying the taste of lime...
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. My kids. Their optimism and imagination are a constant inspiration for me.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "What's funny is that..." which is usually followed by something that isn't funny at all.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not traveling more when I was a student.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I always wanted to learn how to play the ukulele. That way if I found myself at a really boring dinner party, I could whip it out and spice things up. Or El Kabong the host with it.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Co-creating my two favorite characters, Ethan and Abbie.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Being a perfectionist.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. See #13.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Seeing what it would be like to be a dragon would be pretty cool. Until the angry mob showed up.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My smile, which I tend to do a lot when I'm feeling awkward or don't know what to say.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Batman
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Voldemort
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. A poker game with Babe Ruth, Mark Twain, Harry Houdini, and Pablo Picasso would be pretty entertaining.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. When walking past someone and they would rather stare at the wall than say hi.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Being a father
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Boy wizard
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. integrity, thoughtfulness, being open-minded
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Chocolate chip cookies
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul, OKGO - Invincible, Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into the Dark, The Aquabats - Fashion Zombies, Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. J.R.R. Tolkein C.S. Lewis J.K. Rowling Lloyd Alexander Donald Westlake Elmore Leonard Edgar Rice Burroughs Ian Fleming Frank L. Baum Roald Dahl
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Anything from the list above The Princess Bride The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay The Stars My Destination The Graveyard Book A Separate Peace
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Every time I reread Harry Potter, I find a new layer of magic.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Embrace that you might get it wrong the first time, and don't let that stop you from putting it down on paper.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. That I look a lot younger than they were expecting.