Books by this Author
My Life in 8 Words
Q. What is your motto or maxim?
A. Live out loud. Do unto others. Dream big. And there's nothing you can't do.
Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
A. Movie popcorn
Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
A. I'm happy being me, but I would love to have a day to be: a spy, a Rockette, a movie star from the 1930s, a Bond Girl, a go-go dancer, a Bronte, an outlaw, Kobe Bryant, a Charlie's Angel, and a rock star
Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
A. I'd like to go to one of Carole Lombard's infamous parties and tell her not to get on that airplane. I'd want to lie on George Gershwin's piano while he was playing and sing a song with him. I'd like to dance with Mata Hari and exchange stories about men. I'd want to visit a film set of Charlie Chaplin's and talk to him about the creative process. I'd want to be on one of those trains robbed by Jesse James and then ask him if he ever lost sleep over his crimes. I'd want Jacqueline Cochran to teach me how to fly so I could be a WASP. I'd put myself on the ship Karluk, which I wrote about in my first book, and meet Captain Bob Bartlett, Bjarne Mamen, and William McKinlay and get to know them even better. I'd want to flirt with Houdini and Yul Brynner. I'd like to sit and just look at Lord Byron.
June 23, 2009
- You must kiss your pride and dignity goodbye.
- There is no such thing as writing a memoir half-way. You have to jump in with both feet, legs, arms, shoulders, hands, head, and heart.
- Everyone remembers the same event differently.
- It's fun to relive old memories.
- It's agonizing to relive old memories.
- If you have any doubt, change names! Not only to protect the people you're writing about, but yourself.
- It's fine to leave things out. In fact, it's better to leave things out.
- No matter how much they ask, your loved ones don't want to know the things you...