Paul Malmont Revealed
About Paul Malmont
Previous occupations:Movie locations assistant, ad writer, gofer
Favorite job:Movie Director
High school and/or college:Interlochen Arts Academy and NYU Film School
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Richard Wagner
Favorite movie:King Kong
Favorite television show:Pushing Daisies
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Father Husband Author
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Non Illigitimus Carborundum
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Listening to my children laugh and play.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Fear.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. North shore, Oahu.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Walt Disney
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. George Lucas. My parents. My wife.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Cool.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not having enough time to write.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Playing the piano.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Two healthy and happy boys.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Not recognizing my flaws.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. My hair.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. A Disney Imagineer
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My hair.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Superman
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Alberich
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I'd tell John Lennon not to go home on December 8, 1980.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Pet peeves.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Learning to play the guitar.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Superhero/billionaire, Jedi knight, Starship commander.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. A sense of humor, optimism, wisdom
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Pizza
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. "Beyond Belief" - Elvis Costello, "When I Paint My Maseterpiece" - The Band covering Dylan, "Life on Mars" - David Bowie, "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding" - Elvis Costello, "Rocks Off" - The Rolling Stones
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Mark Helprin, Mark Twain, Neal Stephenson, Patrick O'Brian, Susannah Clarke, Charlie Huston, Garry Trudeau, Alan Moore, All Mad Magazine writers
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. "Winter's Tale" - Mark Helprin "The Hobbit" - Tolkien "Watchmen" - Moore "Master & Commander" - O'Brian "The House With A Clock In Its Walls" - Barnavelt
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. "The Stand" - Stephen King
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Keep your butt in your chair.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. When's the sequel coming out?
- Q. How did you come to write Jack London in Paradise?
- A. All the roads from pulp adventure lead back to Jack. He's a fascinating character who, in many ways, was the first rock star. Talent, addiction, super-fame, and youth combined in a tragic manner.