James Dashner Revealed
About James Dashner
What is your birthdate?:11/26
High school and/or college:Duluth High School, BYU
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Led Zeppelin
Favorite movie:Lord of the Rings
Favorite television show:Lost
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Write books. Read books. Watch movies. Feed Family.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Never give up. Laugh a lot. Be good to others.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Sitting on the beach with my wife, reading a book while the kids play in the sand and water.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Snakes
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Castle tour of Europe
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Abraham Lincoln
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Bono
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Awesome and cool
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Studying accounting in college
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Guitar
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Getting published. I mean, having a wonderful family!
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Eating junk food
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Sense of humor
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Bird
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Massive pectoral muscles. Kidding. Big brown eyes.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Roland the Gunslinger
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Severus Snape
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Jack the Ripper: What's your real name?
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People who display road rage
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Movie reviewer
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Movie director
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Love, hope, charity
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Pizza
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, Epiphany by Staind, Death and all his Friends by Coldplay, Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, Black by Pearl Jam
On Books and Writing
- Q. How did you come to write Journal of Curious Letters?
- A. I've always been fascinated by quantum physics and the possibility of alternate realities. And it's so cool that there are actual bonafide scientists who think they may exist! Wanting to put my own twist to the idea, I brainstormed and came up with a group of people who study these realities. And how they recruit new members with a series of tests and riddles. And how in their latest discovery, the 13th reality, very bad things are happening. I think the most important premise of the story (and my favorite) is that we have the power and potential to literally change reality if we have enough conviction.