Stephanie Burgis Revealed
About Stephanie Burgis
Previous occupations:I've been an English language teacher in a Viennese high school, a temporary assistant in a Senatorial office, and a web editor for an English opera company.
Favorite job:Writing is definitely my very favorite job.
High school and/or college:I went to East Lansing High School in East Lansing, Michigan; Michigan State University and Oberlin College Conservatory of Music for my Bachelor's of Music degree; and the University of Pittsburgh for my Master's degree in music history. I also spent a year studying at the University of Vienna in Austria as a Fulbright Scholar.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Mozart (especially "The Marriage of Figaro", which is a fabulous romantic comedy)
Favorite movie:Sense & Sensibility (the Emma Thompson version) - I've watched it so many times!
Favorite television show:Doctor Who
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Thousands of books, three countries, never enough bookshelves!
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Be kind, and don't take yourself too seriously.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Sitting on the grass inside a gorgeous castle ruin with my husband, baby, and dog. History and love - what a perfect combination. :)
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Snakes
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Sitting in a café in Vienna, drinking coffee and eating apfelstrudel.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. I can't say I identify with her - that would definitely count as hubris! - but I really admire Jane Austen.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Elizabeth Peters is my favorite living writer, and a wonderful example of someone who's had a long & fabulous writing career.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "like" and "oh, well"
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Wasting too much time worrying about the future instead of enjoying the present.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. The ability to draw - sadly I'm totally incompetent at art.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Becoming a published writer (which was always my greatest dream).
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Perfectionism, which leads to great stress and self-doubt.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I had to ask my husband for suggestions on this one. He said, "being genuinely caring"...
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I'd love to be a border collie puppy, totally playful and free from care!
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My addiction to books - we have thousands in the house, always overspilling the bookcases!
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Amelia Peabody
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. The Master Criminal (from the Amelia Peabody series)
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. If I could meet any of the suffragettes who won women the vote through their bravery and stubbornness, I would love to be able to thank them. I think of them every time I vote in an election.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. I grind my teeth whenever people make sweeping generalizations about people from other countries.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Being a mom to my wonderful baby son.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Writer - so I'm very lucky! :)
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Kindness, a sense of humor, and compassion
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Garlicky macaroni & cheese
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Adam & the Ants's "Stand and Deliver" (the theme song for A Most Improper Magick!); Hedningarna's "Räven" ("Foxwoman"); KT Tunstall's "Suddenly I See"; Hayley Westenra's "River of Dreams"; Mika's "Grace Kelly"